This is really good !! Perfect meal with a side salad. It's good as a starter. It's terrific for a happy hour appetizer. This is so delicious.
Perfect for a summertime side, this simple recipe is a southern twist on a french classic. With no custard or cream added, the taste of the tomatoes, garlic and cheese really compliment each other well.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded fontina cheese, divided
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Press refrigerated piecrust on bottom and up sides of a square 9-inch tart pan. Bake at 450° for 9 minutes or until piecrust is lightly browned; set aside.
- Cut off pointed end of garlic bulb; place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil, and drizzle with olive oil. Fold foil to seal.
- Bake garlic at 425° for 30 minutes; cool. Squeeze pulp from garlic cloves into bottom of baked piecrust.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup fontina cheese over the garlic.
- Slice tomatoes, and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Place on folded paper towels, and let stand 10 minutes. Arrange tomato slices over shredded cheese. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until tart is lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note