- 8 ounces uncooked multigrain penne pasta
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (10-oz.) package meatless Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-oz.) package fresh baby spinach leaves, thoroughly washed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- calories 315
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 11.7 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- monofat 2.1 g
- polyfat 0.6 g
- protein 16.1 g
- carbohydrate 39.7 g
- fiber 8.5 g
- cholesterol 2 mg
- iron 4.2 mg
- sodium 648 mg
- calcium 163 mg
How to Make It
Prepare pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, sauté chopped onion and sliced sausage in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes, and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Add spinach and basil; cook 5 more minutes.
Place pasta in a large bowl. Add onion mixture, and toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Note: Nutrition analysis includes cheese.