Best homemade soup I have tasted in a long time. Made for a work function and co-workers were asking for the recipe. It tasted even better a week later after all of the flavours had a chance to expand more.
Tomato Soup with Parmesan Toast
We kept the soup slightly chunky, though it can also be pureed until smooth. Use an immersion blender, if desired. Hanukkah celebrants eat dairy during the holiday to commemorate the Jewish heroine Judith, who saved her village from Syrian attackers by distracting their general with wine and cheese.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 198
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 34.8g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 3.6mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 962mg
- Calcium: 131mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped fennel bulb
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 (1-ounce) slices diagonally cut French bread (about 1 inch thick)
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add fennel; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and thyme to pan; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes. Remove pan from heat; cool 5 minutes. Discard thyme sprig. Place half of tomato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until almost smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture. Stir in salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese on each. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note