This is a good quick soup that can be altered in many ways. We didn't have cooked chicken so I substituted a cooked potato. As per the suggestion of the other reviewers, I mixed the blue cheese in the whole soup at the end. Completely made the dish. Would not be that tasty w/o the blue cheese. Will make again in a pinch.
Tomato Soup with Chicken and Gorgonzola Cheese
Take traditional tomato soup and turn it on its head with this delicious and hearty variation, which can be on your table in less than half an hour.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup and 2 tablespoons cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 254
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 32.3g
- Carbohydrate: 11.8g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 699mg
- Calcium: 140mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 pound shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add celery, pepper, and chicken; cook 6 minutes or until mixture is heated through. Add tomatoes and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
Tip: Gorgonzola is a type of blue cheese. You can substitute crumbled feta or goat cheese, if you prefer.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes