Absolutely love it! I initially made it for my husband who loves a really good tomato soup out to dinner, never was my thing but boy is it now! I make it just as recipe says except I use Pancetta instead of ham and when I don't have a roasted red pepper on hand, I use a dash of cayenne pepper and instead of heavy whipping cream, I use light cream and it has a great rich taste and a bit healthier. My husband eats it and says, "this is it". I love the roasted chick pea idea, works so well all together! A cinch to make and make it often now!
Tomato Soup with Roasted Chickpeas
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 8 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 288
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 24.3g
- Carbohydrate: 24.4g
- Fiber: 10.1g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 802mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 1 red bell pepper, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 ounces country ham, finely chopped
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Discard seeds and membranes from bell pepper; place, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 8 minutes or until blackened. Seal in a bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel.
- 3. Reduce oven to 450°.
- 4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute. Add cream and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Add paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and ground pepper; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool for 10 minutes. Combine tomato mixture and bell pepper in a blender; puree.
- 5. Combine 5 garlic cloves, ham, and chickpeas in a roasting pan; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss. Roast at 450° for 12 minutes, stirring once. Ladle 3/4 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; top evenly with chickpea mixture, parsley, and almonds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews