This was probably the best tomato soup I've ever had! It was sooooo good! The tomato soup on its own was fantastic, but the toppings just took it up another notch. Will definitely have to make this again!
Tomato Soup with Roasted Chickpeas
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
Yield: 4 servings
Cost per Serving: $2.15
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 8 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 288
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 24.3g
- Carbohydrate: 24.4g
- Fiber: 10.1g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 802mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 1 red bell pepper, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 ounces country ham, finely chopped
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Discard seeds and membranes from bell pepper; place, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 8 minutes or until blackened. Seal in a bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel.
- 3. Reduce oven to 450°.
- 4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute. Add cream and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Add paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and ground pepper; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool for 10 minutes. Combine tomato mixture and bell pepper in a blender; puree.
- 5. Combine 5 garlic cloves, ham, and chickpeas in a roasting pan; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss. Roast at 450° for 12 minutes, stirring once. Ladle 3/4 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; top evenly with chickpea mixture, parsley, and almonds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews