- 1 red bell pepper, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 ounces country ham, finely chopped
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted and chopped
- calories 288
- fat 12.6 g
- satfat 0.2 g
- monofat 7.2 g
- polyfat 3.2 g
- protein 24.3 g
- carbohydrate 24.4 g
- fiber 10.1 g
- cholesterol 37 mg
- iron 0.7 mg
- sodium 802 mg
- calcium 37 mg
How to Make It
Discard seeds and membranes from bell pepper; place, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 8 minutes or until blackened. Seal in a bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel.
Reduce oven to 450°.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute. Add cream and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Add paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and ground pepper; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool for 10 minutes. Combine tomato mixture and bell pepper in a blender; puree.
Combine 5 garlic cloves, ham, and chickpeas in a roasting pan; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss. Roast at 450° for 12 minutes, stirring once. Ladle 3/4 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; top evenly with chickpea mixture, parsley, and almonds.