Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese
Photo: Oxmoor House
More From Oxmoor House
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 302
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Carbohydrate: 37.1g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 681mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian-style whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian-style whole tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups lower-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 (1 3/4-ounce) slices country white bread
- 6 (3/4-ounce) slices American cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tarragon, if desired, sugar, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, and tomato paste. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil; partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- 2. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. Place half of soup mixture in blender; process until smooth. Return mixture to pan. Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture.
- 3. Add half-and-half and heavy cream, stirring with a whisk over low heat. Set aside; keep warm.
- 4. While soup simmers, place 3 bread slices on a work surface; arrange 2 cheese slices on each of 3 bread slices. Top with remaining 3 bread slices. Spread softened butter on sides of sandwiches. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches to pan; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn sandwiches over; cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
- 5. Ladle soup into bowls; serve with sandwiches.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This