Added a little whipping cream to make a little creamier. Used 2 10oz cans of tomato puree instead of tomato paste by itself. Also, used another 14oz can of diced tomatoes as well as the 28 oz of crushed tomatoes. Kids loved it. I made my own grilled cheese--didn't follow this recipe
Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese
Yield: 4 Servings
Cost per Serving: $3.72
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 862
- Fat: 47g
- Saturated fat: 24g
- Protein: 43g
- Carbohydrate: 69g
- Fiber: 9g
- Cholesterol: 148mg
- Sodium: 3mg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 large basil leaves, sliced
- Sour cream, optional
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 10 ounces white Cheddar or fontina cheese, grated
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon
- In a large sauce pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Puree mixture in a blender or food processor. If necessary, blend in 2 batches.
- Return puree to pot and add milk, vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat while preparing sandwiches.
- Butter one side of each bread slice. On unbuttered side of 1 slice, distribute about 1/4 cup cheese. Top with 2 slices Canadian bacon and another 1/4 cup cheese. Top with another slice of bread, unbuttered side down. Repeat step 3 to make 4 sandwiches.
- Place a large grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches in pan and cook until golden, about 5 minutes per side. Cover sandwiches with foil to keep warm.
- Just before serving, stir basil into soup and spoon into bowls. Top with sour cream, if desired. Slice each sandwich diagonally and serve alongside soup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes