Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Sandwiches
Photo: © James Merrell
- 4 1-inch-thick slices of white bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon kirsch, optional
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 beefsteak tomato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sweet paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Brush the bread slices on both sides with the olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Toast for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until golden and crisp but still soft inside. Rub the toast on one side with the garlic. In a small bowl, combine the white wine and kirsch and sprinkle lightly over the garlic-rubbed sides of the toast. Top with the prosciutto and tomato and season lightly with salt. Top with the cheese.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the sandwiches as close to the heat as possible for about 3 minutes, shifting the pan occasionally, until the cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle with pepper and paprika and serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note