Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Sandwiches
Photo: © James Merrell
- 4 1-inch-thick slices of white bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon kirsch, optional
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 beefsteak tomato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sweet paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Brush the bread slices on both sides with the olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Toast for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until golden and crisp but still soft inside. Rub the toast on one side with the garlic. In a small bowl, combine the white wine and kirsch and sprinkle lightly over the garlic-rubbed sides of the toast. Top with the prosciutto and tomato and season lightly with salt. Top with the cheese.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the sandwiches as close to the heat as possible for about 3 minutes, shifting the pan occasionally, until the cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle with pepper and paprika and serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches