Very easy and very good. You need the sour cream & cilantro for color and to mellow the soup. Our poblanos were on the hot side, which was just fine for us, but you may want to taste-test /or/ sub some bell peppers for some of the poblano if that's better for you. Made to recipe subbing petite diced for whole tomatoes and simmered for about an hour. Served with CL's grilled Asian flank steak
The tomatoes and chiles contribute a day's worth of vitamin C in a serving of the soup. Use low-sodium or organic vegetable broth for a vegetarian appetizer. Chop tomatoes in the can with shears to reduce cleanup.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 102
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 13.3g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 362mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- 4 poblano chiles
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole peeled plum tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut chiles in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place chile halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 18 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop.
- 3. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, and garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute.
- 4. Using kitchen shears, coarsely chop tomatoes in the can. Add tomatoes, chiles, and broth to pan, stirring to combine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- 5. Place half of tomato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until almost smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture. Stir in juice and salt. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 teaspoon sour cream. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note