This soup is wonderful. For added spice, I retain some of the poblano seeds and or add an additional poblano or roasted jalapeno.
The tomatoes and chiles contribute a day's worth of vitamin C in a serving of the soup. Use low-sodium or organic vegetable broth for a vegetarian appetizer. Chop tomatoes in the can with shears to reduce cleanup.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 102
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 13.3g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 362mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- 4 poblano chiles
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole peeled plum tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut chiles in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place chile halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 18 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop.
- 3. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, and garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute.
- 4. Using kitchen shears, coarsely chop tomatoes in the can. Add tomatoes, chiles, and broth to pan, stirring to combine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- 5. Place half of tomato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until almost smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture. Stir in juice and salt. Ladle about 1 cup soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 teaspoon sour cream. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note