Simple, nutritious, delicious. Served it with a quick and easy side dish of pasta tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, fresh thyme and chopped mixed olives and red pepper. Used Wasa thin and crispy rosemary flat bread instead of music bread. Loved it.
Tomato-Poached Eggs with Sardinian Music Bread (Ovos kin Tomate e Casu)
You'll find variations of this dish throughout Sardinia, but four ingredients all cooks keep on hand are pane carasau, tomatoes, pecorino Sardo (a sheep's-milk cheese), and eggs. Thin, crispy pane carasau is a staple in Sardinia, but you can substitute crisp lavosh for a similar crunch. Chop whole peeled tomatoes in the can with kitchen shears for easy cleanup.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 474
- Fat: 17.1g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 21.7g
- Carbohydrate: 61.2g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Cholesterol: 226mg
- Iron: 6.8mg
- Sodium: 836mg
- Calcium: 267mg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans whole plum tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped (such as San Marzano)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 sheets pane carasau (Sardinian music bread), each broken into 4 wedges
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely grated aged pecorino Sardo
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic to pan; cook 3 minutes or until fragrant, stirring often. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Reduce heat to low. Working with one egg at a time, crack eggs over tomato mixture, about 1 inch apart in pan. Sprinkle eggs with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from heat.
- 3. Arrange 4 wedges pane carasau on each of 4 plates; spoon 3/4 cup sauce over each serving. Top each serving with 1 egg, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons grated cheese. Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note