Tomato Pie from Grits and Groceries
Photo: Oxmoor House
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 4 medium-size ripe tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Slice tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange tomato slices on several layers of paper towels over a wire rack. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt; cover with more paper towels, pressing gently. Let salted tomatoes stand 1 hour, replacing paper towels on top and bottom after 30 minutes.
- 2. Combine cheese, mayonnaise, herbs, pepper, and onion in a medium bowl; stir well, and set aside. Roll piecrust into a 13-inch circle on a flat surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate; fold edges under, and crimp. Firmly pat tomato slices dry with additional paper towels. Arrange tomato slices in piecrust; top with cheese mixture.
- 3. Bake at 350° on lowest oven rack for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note