- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 large white onions, chopped (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 4 (10 1/2-ounce) cans beef consommé, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 (3/4-inch-thick) French or sourdough bread slices
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Italian three-cheese blend
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Romano cheese
- Process tomatoes in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onions, and cook, stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in pureed tomatoes, beef consommé, and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 8 ovenproof bowls; top with bread slices, and sprinkle evenly with cheeses.
- Broil, 5 1/2 inches from heat, 3 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews