I thought these were really good.Okra really makes them moist and jalapeño gives a nice kick.great combination of flavors!
Tomato-and-Okra Cornmeal Cakes
Other tasty additions to this recipe might include bacon pieces, microgreens, chopped avocado, or fresh broccoli sprouts.
More From Southern Living
Total: 50 Minutes
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 pound fresh okra, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup of your favorite pimiento cheese
- 1 pound small tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together egg and 1 1/2 cups water; add to cornmeal mixture, whisking until smooth.
- 2. Smash garlic to make a paste. Stir okra, jalapeño, and garlic paste into cornmeal mixture. (Batter will be thick and will thicken even more as it sits, so add water, if needed.)
- 3. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Pour 1 Tbsp. batter for each cake into skillet, and gently flatten into a 2-inch cake. (Don't overcrowd the cakes in the skillet.) Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles. Turn and cook 2 to 3 more minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Keep warm in a 200° oven. Repeat procedure with remaining batter and oil.
- 4. Spread each cake with about 1 tsp. pimiento cheese. Top with arugula, tomato, basil, and kosher salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note