- 1 pound seedless watermelon, rind trimmed
- 1 pound cantaloupe, seeded, rind trimmed
- 1 medium yellow vine-ripe tomato
- 1 medium red vine-ripe tomato
- 1 medium green vine-ripe tomato
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 or 2 serrano chiles, sliced paper-thin
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded ginger (use a Microplane)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pink peppercorns, crushed, divided
- 12 dry-packed sea scallops
- calories 265
- caloriesfromfat 42 %
- protein 21 g
- fat 13 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- carbohydrate 18 g
- fiber 2.1 g
- sodium 716 mg
- cholesterol 37 mg
How to Make It
Slice melons thinly and lay on a large shallow platter. Slice tomatoes crosswise and lay on platter with melons.
Whisk together lemon and lime juices, chiles, brown sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 3 tbsp. oil, the ginger, and 3/4 tsp. peppercorns. Pour all but 2 tbsp. dressing over melon and tomatoes. Let marinate 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a large (not nonstick) frying pan over high heat. Pat scallops dry and season with remaining salt and pink peppercorns. When pan is hot, pour in remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil; place scallops one at a time in pan, spacing evenly; and cook until golden brown and crusty, 2 minutes. Turn over and cook on other side, 1 minute.
Add warm scallops to platter, drizzle with remaining dressing, and serve.