I didn't have a green tomato so I used all various heirloom tomatoes. This quaint dish is scrumptious. My husband declared it a "keeper". Excellent summer fare!
Photo: Tina Cornett, Jennifer Davick; Styling: Melanie Clark
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
Other: 35 Minutes
- 1/2 (15-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 medium-size red tomatoes
- 2 medium-size yellow tomatoes
- 1 green tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium leek
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Garnish: fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp.
- 2. Bake at 450° for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and let cool 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- 3. Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Place tomatoes on a paper towel-lined wire rack. Sprinkle tomatoes with kosher salt. Let stand 20 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 4. Remove and discard root end and dark green top of leek. Cut in half lengthwise, and rinse thoroughly under cold running water to remove grit and sand. Thinly slice leek.
- 5. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add leek, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- 6. Layer leek on bottom of prepared crust. Top with tomato slices, and sprinkle with pepper. Stir together cheese, mayonnaise, and egg in a medium bowl until blended. Spread cheese mixture over top of tomatoes.
- 7. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note