This was a simple, easy way to use our garden tomatoes. Nothing special, though.
Tomato and Herb Salad with Fresh Chive Cheese
This is the salad to make with tomatoes from the farmers' market or your backyard, ideally when they're still warm from the sun. The surprise is the easy homemade cheese. Prep and Cook Time: about 20 minutes (excluding cheese).
More From Sunset
- Calories: 227
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 8.5g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sodium: 424mg
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- 2 pounds assorted vine-ripened tomatoes
- 12 to 14 slices Fresh Chive Cheese or fresh mozzarella
- About 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 sprigs marjoram, plus flowers if any
- 10 to 12 basil leaves, plus flowers if any
- 1. Slice large tomatoes; leave small tomatoes whole, or cut in wedges or halves. Arrange on a platter with cheese.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk 1 tsp. salt, the vinegar, and honey until salt is dissolved; whisk in olive oil. Spoon over tomatoes.
- 3. Strip marjoram leaves and flowers from sprigs onto salad. With kitchen scissors, snip basil leaves and flowers over tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note