Made this recipe tonight for dinner. It was okay. The mint taste was a little strong, as was the cilantro. Probably would have been better without those herbs. We added chicken and shrimp, which helped. Probably will not make this again.
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Mindi Shapiro Levine
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate: 33.8g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 324mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 medium-size red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 (12-oz.) package whole grain spaghetti
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced into half moons
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1. Whisk together vinegar and 1 Tbsp. sugar in a bowl. Add onion, and let stand 30 minutes; drain, reserving 2 Tbsp. vinegar mixture.
- 2. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 3. Place chopped tomatoes and next 9 ingredients in a serving bowl. Add hot cooked pasta, onion, and reserved vinegar mixture, gently tossing to combine. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Mueller's Whole Grain Spaghetti.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables