Heirloom Tomato and Haricot Vert Salad
It's nice to use a mix of colors of tomatoes, but make sure they all taste wonderful--flavor is most important. Suzanne Goin, chef and co-owner of four Los Angeles restaurants--Lucques, A.O.C., Tavern, and the Larder at Maple Drive--created this recipe for an outdoor feast celebrating the 10th anniversary of A.O.C.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 207
- Calories from fat: 84%
- Protein: 1.9g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 6.9g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 156mg
- Cholesterol: 4.2mg
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more for blanching beans
- 1/4 pound haricots verts (thin green beans), tops trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 small garlic clove
- 2 1/4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons roasted hazelnut oil*
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup skinned toasted hazelnuts
- 1 1/4 pounds heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch baby arugula
- About 1 cup cherry tomatoes, stemmed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 1. Bring a small pot of salted water to boil, then blanch beans for 2 to 3 minutes, until just tender. Transfer with tongs to a baking sheet to cool.
- 2. Make balsamic vinaigrette: Using a mortar and pestle, pound oregano, garlic, and a scant 1/4 tsp. salt to a paste (or chop garlic and oregano, sprinkle with the salt, mince, and mash into a paste with the flat side of a chef's knife). Transfer to a small bowl and pour in vinegars. Whisk in olive oil and taste for balance and seasoning.
- 3. Whisk hazelnut oil, lemon zest, and a couple of pinches of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Finely chop half of hazelnuts and stir into dressing; coarsely chop the rest and stir in. Drizzle hazelnut dressing over haricots verts, season with salt and pepper, and toss together.
- 4. Hold heirloom tomatoes on their sides and cut into 1/4-in.-thick slices. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange slices on a large round platter, overlapping them, and spoon on about half the balsamic vinaigrette. Scatter with arugula leaves.
- 5. Stir cherry tomatoes into remaining vinaigrette in bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pile in center of platter, then top with haricots verts. Spoon on a few dollops of crème fraîche and sprinkle about a third of pistou onto and around salad (serve the rest alongside).
- *Find with the oils in well-stocked grocery stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note