Tomato-Cucumber Bread Salad
Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Melanie Clark
More From Southern Living
Bake: 5 Minutes
Cool: 10 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 219
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.8g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 413mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 3 crusty artisan sourdough bread slices
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced (see how-to below)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups), and place on a jelly-roll pan. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer bread to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 10 minutes).
- 2. Toss bread cubes with salad greens and next 4 ingredients. Serve with Red Wine Vinaigrette.
- Marinated Tomato-Cucumber Bread Salad: Omit salad greens. Increase bread slices to 6, and toast as directed in Step 1. Increase grape tomatoes to 1 pt., halved. Toss together 4 medium-size ripe tomatoes, chopped; grape tomato halves; and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Toss in 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette. Let stand 10 minutes. Toss in bread cubes. Let stand 15 minutes. Makes 8 servings. Prep: 25 min., Bake: 5 min., Stand: 25 min., Cool: 10 min.
- Per serving (including about 1 Tbsp. vinaigrette): Calories 249; Fat 10.6g (sat 1.6g, mono 6.9g, poly 1.9g); Protein 6.8g; Carb 33.3g; Fiber 2.7g; Chol 0mg; Iron 2.4mg; Sodium 468mg; Calc 34mg.
- Note: Nutritional analysis includes about 1 1/2 Tbsp. vinaigrette.
- How To Chiffonade
- Step 1: Stack several basil leaves together; roll the stacked leaves lengthwise.
- Step 2: Slice the roll into thin strips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads