This took entirely too much time for just "OK" !I've made better tomato pies !
Tomato, Cheddar, and Bacon Pie
We raised the ante on classic tomato pie with a sour cream crust studded with bacon, layers of colorful tomatoes, and plenty of cheese and herbs to tie it all together. For best results, seed the tomatoes and drain the slices before baking.
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising soft-wheat flour (such as White Lily)
- 1 cup cold butter, cut up
- 8 cooked bacon slices, chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 3/4 pounds assorted large tomatoes, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) freshly shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill sprigs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain yellow cornmeal
- 1. Prepare Crust: Place flour in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer; cut in cold butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles small peas. Chill 10 minutes.
- 2. Add bacon to flour mixture; beat at low speed just until combined. Gradually add sour cream, 1/4 cup at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- 3. Spoon mixture onto a heavily floured surface; sprinkle lightly with flour, and knead 3 or 4 times, adding more flour as needed. Roll to a 13-inch round. Gently place dough in a 9-inch fluted tart pan with 2-inch sides and a removable bottom. Press dough into pan; trim off excess dough along edges. Chill 30 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, prepare Filling: Cut 2 lb. tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and remove seeds. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 425°. Stir together Cheddar cheese, next 10 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. salt in a large bowl until combined.
- 6. Pat tomato slices dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle cornmeal over bottom of crust. Lightly spread 1/2 cup cheese mixture onto crust; layer with half of tomato slices in slightly overlapping rows. Spread with 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Repeat layers, using remaining tomato slices and cheese mixture. Cut remaining 3/4 lb. tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and arrange on top of pie.
- 7. Bake at 425° for 40 to 45 minutes, shielding edges with foil during last 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note