Tomato and Bread Soup
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 20 minutes; Total time: 25 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup, 1 slice bread)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 236
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 424mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato (canned is fine; include the juices)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 thick slices whole-grain bread
- 1 large garlic clove, halved or crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- 1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add onion, carrot, salt, and pepper; cook until onion softens (3-5 minutes), stirring often.
- 2. Add tomato and thyme; cook until tomato breaks up (10-15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add broth and sugar; stir. Cook until hot; simmer 5 minutes.
- 3. Preheat broiler to medium-high heat. Place rack 4 inches from heat.
- 4. Brush both sides of bread lightly with remaining oil; broil until golden (5 minutes). Rub sides of bread with garlic; break into pieces. Divide among bowls.
- 5. Add more stock to soup if too thick; cook until hot. Pour over bread; sprinkle with Parmesan. Top with thyme, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note