- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato (canned is fine; include the juices)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 thick slices whole-grain bread
- 1 large garlic clove, halved or crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- calories 236
- fat 12 g
- satfat 2 g
- monofat 7 g
- polyfat 2 g
- protein 10 g
- carbohydrate 26 g
- fiber 5 g
- cholesterol 2 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 424 mg
- calcium 92 mg
How to Make It
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add onion, carrot, salt, and pepper; cook until onion softens (3-5 minutes), stirring often.
Add tomato and thyme; cook until tomato breaks up (10-15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add broth and sugar; stir. Cook until hot; simmer 5 minutes.
Preheat broiler to medium-high heat. Place rack 4 inches from heat.
Brush both sides of bread lightly with remaining oil; broil until golden (5 minutes). Rub sides of bread with garlic; break into pieces. Divide among bowls.
Add more stock to soup if too thick; cook until hot. Pour over bread; sprinkle with Parmesan. Top with thyme, if desired.