Yield: about 2 quarts
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 quart milk, scalded
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup finely crushed cracker crumbs (optional)
- Place tomatoes in a small Dutch oven; cook, uncovered, over medium heat until tender. Add soda, stirring well. Strain tomato mixture through a fine-meshed sieve, mashing pulp with back of a spoon; discard the pulp.
- Return strained tomato mixture to Dutch oven; add milk, butter, salt, pepper, and cracker crumbs, if desired. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews