Tomato Basil Bread Soup
The crunchy sourdough croutons that top the soup are also delicious on salad or on their own. For added flavor, sprinkle with dried herbs or seasonings before baking.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 191
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate: 28.5g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 1191mg
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Calcium: 164mg
- 4 ounces sourdough bread, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Combine sourdough bread and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium bowl; toss gently to coat. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a jelly roll pan; bake at 300° for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until browned. Add broth, basil, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into each of 5 soup bowls. Top evenly with croutons and Parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews