More From Health
- Calories: 177
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 420mg
- Calcium: 82mg
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini (6 oz), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound tomatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced basil, divided
- 1/2 ounce shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1. Boil barley in a large pot of water until tender but still chewy (40 minutes). Drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and garlic; cook until zucchini begins to soften (2 minutes). Add tomatoes, broth, salt, and 1/2 cup basil; bring to a boil. Boil until the tomatoes have softened (7 minutes).
- 3. Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Add barley and remaining 1/4 cup basil; top with Parmesan, and serve.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note