- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini (6 oz), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound tomatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced basil, divided
- 1/2 ounce shaved Parmesan cheese
- calories 177
- fat 5.1 g
- satfat 1.2 g
- monofat 2.8 g
- polyfat 0.7 g
- protein 7 g
- carbohydrate 27 g
- fiber 6 g
- cholesterol 3 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 420 mg
- calcium 82 mg
How to Make It
Boil barley in a large pot of water until tender but still chewy (40 minutes). Drain.
Meanwhile, in large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and garlic; cook until zucchini begins to soften (2 minutes). Add tomatoes, broth, salt, and 1/2 cup basil; bring to a boil. Boil until the tomatoes have softened (7 minutes).
Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Add barley and remaining 1/4 cup basil; top with Parmesan, and serve.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.