Make a tangy dip for chips with tomatillos, or Mexican green tomatoes, that are firm with tight-fitting, papery green skins.
More From Southern Living
Chill Time: 8 Hours
- 1 1/4 pounds small tomatillos (about 30)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- 1. Remove husks from tomatillos; wash thoroughly.
- 2. Sauté onion in hot olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomatillos, 1 cup water, and jalapeño; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes or until tomatillos are softened. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- 3. Process tomatillo mixture, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a food processor or blender until smooth. Cover and chill at least 8 hours. Serve at room temperature with tortilla chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note