Tomatillo Grilled Cheese and Bacon Sandwiches
Photo: Alex Farnum; Styling: Randy Mon
Raw tomatillos taste like tart green apples.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6 (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 375
- Calories from fat: 62%
- Protein: 18g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 664mg
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- 12 slices (1/2 in. thick) ciabatta bread
- About 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- About 4 tomatillos (6 oz.), husks removed, rinsed, and cut into 1/4-in.-thick slices
- 8 slices cooked bacon, broken into thirds
- 1/4 cup cilantro sprigs
- 6 ounces panela cheese* or mozzarella, cut into thin wedges
- 1. Spread a side of each bread slice with butter. Turn 6 slices over; top with cheddar, then tomatillos, bacon, cilantro, and panela. Top with remaining bread, buttered side up.
- 2. Cook sandwiches in a large nonstick frying pan (work in batches or use 2 pans) over medium-low heat until golden on both sides and cheese melts, 7 minutes total.
- *Panela, a fresh Mexican cheese, melts without losing its shape. Find it at Mexican markets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches