Tomatillo Barbecue Sauce
A far cry from a tomato-based barbecue sauce, this sweet and tangy yellow sauce is made with fresh green tomatoes and tomatillos. It's great for basting grilled chicken, fish, or shrimp.
Yield: 3 cups
- 2 1/2 pounds green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husked and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Cook all ingredients in a large stockpot over medium-low heat 2 hours or until green tomatoes and tomatillos are tender. Cool.
- Process mixtrue, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Serve over grilled chicken, fish, or shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note