Tom Kha Gai Soup
This recipe uses homemade broth, coconut milk, ginger or galangal, herbs and spices to make a comforting soup that is surprisingly filling. This soup is that it’s really forgiving. As long as you start with a good base of chicken broth, coconut milk, and ginger/galangal, you can tweak it any way you like!
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 quart(s) chicken broth
- 15 ounce(s) coconut milk
- pinch(s) dried chili flakes
- 1-2 inches of freshly grated ginger or galangal root
- 2 stick(s) lemongrass (ALT: use juice from a fresh lime or lemon in place of lemongrass
- 3-5 kaffir lime leaves
- OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS
- sliced mushrooms, green onions, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes
- thinly sliced chicken breast
- chopped cilantro
- splash of fish sauce
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil, and then add the coconut milk, lemongrass, grated ginger, and chili flakes.
- Add any optional vegetables at this time, as well.
- Keep at a steady simmer for 15 minutes, and then add the thinly sliced pieces of chicken breast. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro, and pour over thinly sliced mushrooms. Season with sea salt if needed.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by acrane and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews