Tofu-and-Vegetable Tacos with Eggplant-Ancho Spread
Chef Alyssa Gorelick wraps grilled vegetables and tofu in tortillas with an eggplant-and-ancho-chile spread that gives the tacos a rich, smoky taste. The spread is also delicious as a dip with pita chips.
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 280
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 9g
- 1 ((one block)) extra-firm tofu, cut crosswise into 6 slabs
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 (small) red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into strips
- 3 (small) tomatoes, halved
- 6 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Smoky Eggplant-Ancho Spread
- Arrange the tofu on a baking sheet and top with another baking sheet and several plates. Let stand for 1 hour to press out some of the excess water. Pat the tofu dry.
- In a bowl, combine the wine, olive oil, mint and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Add the squash, zucchini, onion, pepper, tomatoes and tofu; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Light a grill and oil the grates. Grill the vegetables in a grill basket over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until tender, 10 minutes. Grill the tofu directly on the grates, turning, until charred all over, 8 minutes.
- Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of the Eggplant-Ancho spread. Add the tofu and vegetables, fold up the tacos and serve.
Nutrition data accounts for one taco.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note