Yummy! We didn't do the skewers either. We added fresh salsa, the cabbage and some shredded cheddar cheese! Similar to a fish taco!. Also I reduced the chili powder to 1 1/2 teaspoons and did not at the cayenne pepper
Notes: If your wooden skewers are too long to fit in the pan, cut them to size with scissors.
Yield: Makes 3 or 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 246
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Sodium: 1198mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 12 ounces water- or vacuum-packed extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 8 corn tortillas (6 in. diameter)
- About 1 cup tomato salsa
- About 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 1. Rinse tofu, drain in a colander for about 5 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1-inch cubes and lightly blot with more paper towels.
- 2. In a bowl, mix soy sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne. Add tofu and mix gently to coat cubes completely. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix cabbage with vinegar. Stack tortillas and enclose in plastic wrap.
- 4. Thread tofu cubes equally onto four 8-inch wooden skewers (see notes). Set a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, lay skewers in pan and turn as needed to brown tofu on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to a serving platter. Mound cabbage mixture alongside.
- 5. Heat tortillas in a microwave oven at full power (100%) until hot and steamy, 30 to 45 seconds. Wrap in a towel. Serve with tofu and cabbage, salsa, and sour cream. Eat taco style, filling tortillas as desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note