I cut tofu horizontally, which made it easier to handle and marinated for two hours. Doubled the ginger and used chinese mustard greens (tender and peppery) instead of chard, and followed others' advice to save the marinade to drizzle on top of everything. It was okay, and we enjoyed it, but it's nothing to rave about. Served with short-grain brown rice and some melon slices.
Tofu and Swiss Chard Stacks
Marinated, broiled tofu and a spicy chard mixture are layered for free-form individual lasagnas. Use water-packed tofu; its firm texture holds up well. Serve with fried rice that's been tossed with steamed edamame.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 155
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 13.8g
- Carbohydrate: 12.4g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 754mg
- Calcium: 130mg
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 (12.3-ounce) package water-packed reduced-fat firm tofu, drained
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups thinly sliced Swiss chard
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- To prepare tofu, combine the first 4 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 equal slices. Carefully place tofu in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Pour the soy sauce mixture over tofu. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes, carefully turning once.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove tofu from dish; discard marinade. Place tofu on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 10 minutes on each side or until tofu is lightly browned.
- To prepare greens, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, ginger, pepper, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add chard and sesame seeds; cook 3 minutes or until chard wilts, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 teaspoons soy sauce.
- Place 1/4 cup chard mixture on each of 2 plates; top each serving with 1 tofu slice. Repeat layers with remaining chard and tofu.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note