This recipe came out great! I used a marinator vs a plastic bag to get more of the goodness into the tofu. The sauce was interesting, i didn't want to use a full bottle of red peppers since that would be waaay to much for the 4 pieces of tofu! So I only used 2 peppers Next time i'll double the marinade, and take half to make the sauce with! All in all i found the recipe to be great and a do again!
Tofu Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce
Take tofu from ordinary to extraordinary by dredging in flour and egg substitute, then coating in panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) and pan-frying until golden brown. Serve with a homemade sauce for an extra punch of flavor.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 291
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.9g
- Protein: 15.9g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 513mg
- Calcium: 74mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package water-packed reduced-fat extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle roasted red peppers, drained
- 1. Cut tofu crosswise into 4 slices. Place tofu slices on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 30 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
- 2. Combine basil and next 8 ingredients (through garlic) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add tofu to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.
- 3. Place flour in a shallow dish. Place egg substitute in another shallow dish. Place panko in another shallow dish.
- 4. Remove tofu from marinade, reserving remaining marinade. Working with one tofu piece at a time, dredge tofu in flour, shaking off excess. Dip tofu in egg substitute, allowing excess to drip off. Coat tofu completely with panko, pressing lightly to adhere. Set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining tofu, flour, egg substitute, and panko.
- 5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add tofu to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove tofu from pan, and keep warm.
- 6. Combine reserved marinade, walnuts, and bell peppers in a blender; process until smooth (about 2 minutes). Pour bell pepper mixture into pan; cook over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with tofu.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note