Delicious! Next time I will cut the tofu into little cubes as my family prefers it that way.
Tofu Steaks with Shiitakes and Veggies
Tofu Steaks with Shiitakes and Veggies is a quick vegetarian entrée full of flavor and rich vegetables. Piercing the tofu with a fork allows the sesame oil and soy sauce to absorb into the tofu, making it more flavorful.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 268
- Fat: 16.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 7.9g
- Protein: 11.4g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 462mg
- Calcium: 91mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 cup julienne-cut red bell pepper
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrot
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (5-ounce) package presliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1. Cut tofu in half crosswise and again in half lengthwise. Pierce tofu liberally with a fork. Place in a shallow dish. Combine 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a small bowl. Pour soy mixture over tofu; let stand 15 minutes, turning once. Set aside.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add bell pepper, carrot, and salt; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, broth, and next 3 ingredients. Simmer 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 3. Remove tofu from marinade; reserve marinade. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add tofu to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Arrange 1 tofu steak on each of 4 plates; top each serving with about 1/3 cup carrot mixture and about 2 tablespoons mushroom mixture.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note