I was looking for something new to do with a box of tofu I had near expiration, so I tried this recipe. To me, it didn't really seem like picatta. I also had a lot of trouble getting the crumbs to stick to the tofu in the skillet. Perhaps baking would have worked better for me. It is filling and tastes okay, but it was a hard sell to the family, and just not appealing.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup pasta, 1 cup tofu, 1/2 cup marinara sauce, and 3/4 teaspoon capers)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 495
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Protein: 26.1g
- Carbohydrate: 69.2g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 11.9mg
- Sodium: 1229mg
- Calcium: 287mg
- 2 (10.5-ounce) packages extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3 egg whites
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 4 cups hot cooked linguine (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Place tofu cubes and lemon juice in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal bag, and shake gently to coat. Add cornstarch to bag; seal bag, and shake gently to coat. Let stand 1 hour.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley, and Italian seasoning in another large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal bag, and shake well. Place egg whites in a shallow bowl; stir well. Dip tofu cubes into egg whites, and add to cheese mixture in bag; seal bag, and shake gently to coat.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat until hot. Add tofu cubes, and cook 8 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally.
- Spoon pasta onto individual plates, and top with tofu cubes. Spoon marinara sauce over tofu and pasta; sprinkle with capers. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note