although easy to make, i found this dish to be on the bland side - it lacked a depth of flavor one expects from a curry
Tofu and Pea Curry
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 454
- Calories from fat: 8.1%
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 80g
- Fiber: 9.3g
- Sodium: 137mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 14 to 16 ounces reduced-fat firm tofu
- 1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon salad oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen petite peas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Plain nonfat yogurt
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, combine rice and 2 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until most of the water is absorbed, 7 to 10 minutes. Turn heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse tofu; cut into 1/2-inch cubes and put in a colander to drain.
- 3. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, stir onion, ginger, and garlic in oil until onion begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add curry powder, coriander, and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 4. Add broth and stir often until boiling. Whack pea carton on a flat surface to separate peas. Pour peas into pan and add tofu. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tofu is hot, 6 to 8 minutes. Mix cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Add to pan and stir over high heat until boiling. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Pour curry into a bowl and sprinkle with cilantro. Mound hot rice in another bowl to accompany curry. Serve with yogurt to add to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes