Tofu and Rice Noodles with Black Bean Sauce
Pan-searing sliced tofu gives it a meatiness that's deliciously offset by crunchy vegetables and a drizzle of black bean sauce (pour on a little less if you're salt-sensitive). The Asian ingredients can be found in any large grocery store.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 828
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 118g
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Sodium: 890mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 16 ounces pad Thai rice-stick noodles
- 14 to 21 oz. firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 20 small, thin carrots, peeled
- 1/3 cup black bean garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing rice wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1. Boil noodles according to package directions, about 6 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, set tofu with a long side facing you. Cut tofu into eight 1/2-in.-thick slices, then lay between sheets of paper towels; gently press out excess moisture.
- 3. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add tofu and fry until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate of tofu. Halve tofu diagonally.
- 4. Meanwhile, stir black bean garlic sauce, rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, sugar, sesame seeds, ginger, green onions, and 1/4 cup water together in a medium bowl.
- 5. Add black bean mixture to frying pan and boil over medium heat until sauce is reduced to 1 cup, about 3 minutes.
- 6. Divide noodles among 4 wide bowls. (If noodles are stuck together, rinse with hot water and drain.) Spoon 3 tbsp. sauce over each bowl. Arrange 4 pieces tofu, 5 carrots, and 1/4 cup snap peas over each, and spoon on remaining sauce if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving with 3 tbsp. sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note