A LOT of work with ok results. It is not something I would make again.
Tofu Mole Enchiladas
Photo: Karry Hosford
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2 enchiladas)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 422
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Protein: 27.2g
- Carbohydrate: 59.9g
- Fiber: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 4.5mg
- Sodium: 789mg
- Calcium: 180mg
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 large tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 4 ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 4 guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (1-ounce) slices white bread, toasted and torn
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 (6-ounce) packages smoked tofu, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 16 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and tomatoes; cook 15 minutes or until tomatoes are blackened, turning frequently. Remove from pan; cool slightly. Peel garlic; set aside. Peel and core tomatoes. Place tomatoes, almonds, and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds in a food processor, and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Place 2 ancho chiles in pan; flatten with a spatula. Cook 10 seconds on each side or until blackened. Repeat procedure with remaining ancho chiles. Place 2 guajillo chiles in pan; flatten with a spatula. Cook 20 seconds on each side or until blackened. Repeat procedure with remaining guajillo chiles. Combine ancho chiles, guajillo chiles, and boiling water in a medium bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Strain chiles through a sieve into a bowl, reserving 1/3 cup soaking liquid. Place chiles, reserved liquid, garlic, oregano, cumin, and cloves in food processor; process until smooth.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Place onion, 1 cup broth, cilantro, cocoa, cinnamon, and bread in food processor; process until smooth.
- Return onion mixture to pan. Add chile mixture; cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in tomato mixture and 2 cups broth. Cook 30 minutes or until mixture is slightly thick. Stir in raisins, juice, sugar, and salt. Stir in tofu, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Arrange about 1/3 cup mole down the center of each tortilla; roll up. Place rolled tortillas, seam-side down, on a platter. Top with any remaining mole, and sprinkle evenly with 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes