This is my absolute favorite french toast recipe of all-time. I don't usually make the sauce because my family prefers maple syrup (and because it's SOOO full of fat and sugar), but they always comment on how great it is!
Toffee French Toast with Pecans
Time: 45 minutes. The luscious sauce makes this French toast taste like sticky toffee pudding. (Put leftover sauce on ice cream.)
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 945
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 52g
- Saturated fat: 24g
- Carbohydrate: 93g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 779mg
- Cholesterol: 570mg
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- French toast
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (such as Grand Marnier) or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 8 thick slices (1 in.) brioche (about 1 lb.)
- 1. Prepare sauce: Melt unsalted butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in brown sugar until well blended, then bring to a boil. Boil until sugar dissolves, 5 to 8 minutes. Carefully stir in cream (mixture may spatter) and pecans; reduce heat to low.
- 2. Make French toast: In a large shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and orange liqueur.
- 3. Heat a large cast-iron skillet or nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Melt 1 tbsp. salted butter in skillet, tipping pan to coat. Quickly dip bread, 1 piece at a time, into egg batter, coating both sides but not drenching. Lay bread in skillet and repeat with remaining bread. Cook until golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes; then flip, add remaining 1 tbsp. butter, and cook until second side is golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more.
- 4. Transfer French toast to plates, top with some of warm toffee sauce, and serve remaining sauce on the side.
- Make ahead: Sauce keeps up to 2 days, covered and chilled (reheat in a microwave oven).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch