Oh my gosh this is absolutely decadent! Yes, there are some extra steps involved but this dessert was so worth the work. It received rave reviews from my family and it's the kind of dessert that can make an average cook look great. This one's a keeper!
Toffee-Coffee Ice-Cream Torte
- 6 tablespoons coffee liqueur, divided
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 (12-ounce) bag chocolate-covered toffee candy bars, finely chopped
- 1/2 gallon coffee ice cream, softened
- 1 (3-ounce) package ladyfingers
- 1 cup strong-brewed coffee or espresso
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Garnishes: whipped topping, chopped toffee
- Line 2 (9- x 5-inch) loafpans with plastic wrap, allowing excess to hang over sides.
- Stir together 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur and instant coffee granules until dissolved. Combine coffee mixture, chocolate ice cream, and half of the chopped toffee in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 gallon coffee ice cream and remaining chopped toffee. Spread half of chocolate ice-cream mixture evenly into 1 prepared loafpan; top with half of coffee ice-cream mixture. Repeat layers in remaining loafpan.
- Brush ladyfingers with 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur; place ladyfingers, brushed sides down, evenly over ice cream in loafpans. Fold plastic wrap over to seal; freeze at least 8 hours.
- Stir together brewed coffee, sugar, and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened and clear. Remove from heat; cool. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons liqueur; cover and chill coffee sauce until ready to serve.
- Invert tortes onto serving plates; remove and discard plastic wrap. Garnish, if desired. Serve with chilled coffee sauce.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Hershey's Heath Snack Bars.
In place of coffee liqueur, feel free to use the same amount of sweetened, brewed coffee.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts