Toasted Quinoa With Chiles and Corn
Prep: 8 minutes; Cook: 23 minutes.
More From Health
- Calories: 218
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Sodium: 313mg
- Calcium: 42mg
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned no salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1/3 cup jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1. Add the quinoa to a 2-quart saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, and place the pan over high heat. Swirl the quinoa in the pan to toast it evenly. When the grains are fragrant and crackle, remove from heat. Add cumin, salt, and cocoa, then slowly add the broth (be careful; it might boil over). Put the pan over high heat, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Stir in the corn and jalapeño peppers; cover and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in scallions and lime juice. Serve warm.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes