Sooooooooo yummy & perfect for the summer! Had so many of the veges in my garden. Regular cucumbers are fine.
Toasted Pita Salad
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Rose Nguyen
This Mediterranean-style salad highlights the pungent, slightly peppery tang of oregano. Oregano's milder cousin, marjoram, would make a good substitute.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 111
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 17.5g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 256mg
- Calcium: 42mg
- 2 (6-inch) pitas, split in half horizontally
- 3 cups chopped tomato (about 4 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped English cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Place pitas on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely; break into small pieces.
- 3. Combine tomato and next 4 ingredients (through parsley) in a large bowl. Combine lime juice and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour juice mixture over tomato mixture; toss gently. Add pita pieces to bowl; toss gently. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note