This was really quite good! I didn't use a slow cooker, just cooked it in the rice cooker so the green onions were probably a little more soggy than they were supposed to be but it was delicious anyway. It was very simple to make, so I will definitely make it again. I served it with salad and the main dish was chicken sauteed in garlic, fresh rosemary, and olive oil.
Toasted Herb Rice
Photo: Oxmoor House
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked converted long-grain rice (we tested with Uncle Ben's)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Garnish: fresh basil sprig
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add rice, and sauté 4 minutes or until golden brown. Combine sautéed rice, broth, and next 3 ingredients in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 2 hours or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in pine nuts. Garnish, if desired.
- Fresh is Best: If you have fresh basil on hand, use 1 tablespoon fresh instead of 1 teaspoon dried basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables