Made on a cold & rainy afternoon. Prepped to recipe proportions with some changes to taste. Added 1 minced chipotle with the 1tbs adobo from the can. From another CL posole recipe, used 1/2c beer to deglaze, then returned meat to pan & let boil til beer almost gone. Used 1 box low-sodium broth (4c) and 2c water rather than half/half. Simmered two hours, lid off. Added a bit more salt with the hominy. Served with lime and avocado, radish, scallion toppings. Cheese quesadillas & beer. Very good.
Toasted Guajillo and Pork Posole
Serve with lime wedges, chopped onion, cilantro leaves, and sliced radish and cabbage, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 273
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 25.1g
- Carbohydrate: 17.7g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 704mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 3 dried guajillo chiles
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 (29-ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Place chiles on a baking sheet; bake at 400° for 4 minutes or until dark. Cool; remove stems and seeds.
- 3. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned. Remove pork from pan. Wipe drippings from pan; return pork to pan. Add broth and next 5 ingredients (through onion), scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add guajillo chiles and 1 tablespoon adobo sauce; reserve remaining chipotle chiles and sauce for another use. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until pork is tender.
- 4. Remove chiles, onion, garlic, and 1 cup cooking liquid; place in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth; return to pan. Stir in hominy; cook 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews