Toasted Fresh Bread Crumbs
Crunchy toasted bread crumbs are a traditional substitute for cheese on pasta.
This recipe goes with Spaghetti with Anchovies and Bread Crumbs (Spaghetti con Acciughe e Mollica)
More From Sunset
- Calories: 91
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 1.7g
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 9.5g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 110mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 4-in. length (4 oz.) of an Italian-style bread with crust, such as Pugliese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°. Cut bread into cubes and scatter on a baking sheet in 1 layer. Bake 15 minutes, or until cubes feel dry on the outside but still moist inside.
- 2. When bread cubes are cool, put in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Set aside 3/4 cup firmly packed bread crumbs; save remaining for future use.
- 3. Heat oil in a 10-in. frying pan over medium heat just until warm (not hot). Add reserved bread crumbs and stir to coat with oil. Cook, stirring constantly, until bread crumbs are evenly golden brown and crunchy, about 5 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2 tablespoons.
The secret to making evenly browned bread crumbs is to cook them in a skillet and stir without pause.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note