Delish. They're super fast to make as well, although I used semi-sweet chocolate chips rather than chopping the solid chocolate bar. I ended up with 23 cookies using a melon baller. Chewy, buttery, and sweet. I needed two cookie sheets and baked them separately. The first batch looked too gooey after 10 minutes, so I left them in for two extra minutes (after opening the door and looking at them for a bit). They were great. The second batch (different cookie sheet) I just baked for 12 minutes without opening the door, and they were a bit too done. I think I'll go with 11 minutes next time.
Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Myth-Buster Recipe. Given that both chocolate and coconut are not as bad as once thought, and given that they taste mighty good together, we baked up a batch of these toasty, chocolaty cookies to celebrate. Like all sweets with few other nutrients, though, they are treats—perfectly healthy every once in a while.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 88
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 38mg
- Calcium: 15mg
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (70% cacao), chopped
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Arrange coconut in a single layer in a small baking pan. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once. Set aside to cool.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Beat in vanilla and egg. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until combined. Stir in toasted coconut and chocolate.
- 4. Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until bottoms of cookies just begin to brown. Remove from pan, and cool completely on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note