This cake is really good. I cut the coconut down to 1/2 cup because my husband isn't a fan, but other than that I followed recipe exact. Will make again and would make for special occassion.
Toasted Almond-Butter Cake
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time.
- Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in flavorings, coconut, and chopped almonds.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup slivered almonds, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Toasted Almond-Butter Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts