Tiramisu is not tiramisu without mascarpone cheese and real whipped cream. PASS!
This rich yet light-textured dessert is best when chilled at least 2 hours to allow all the flavors to become well acquainted.
Yield: Makes 10 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 345
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated fat: 9.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 12.3g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 182mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 325mg
- Calcium: 166mg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup brewed espresso or dark-roast coffee
- 3 tablespoons Marsala
- 3 (3-ounce) packages ladyfingers
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- Stir together sugar, 1/2 cup whipping cream, milk, and next 4 ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 30 minutes or until thickened. Cool mixture completely. Discard vanilla bean. Whisk in cream cheeses.
- Stir together espresso and Marsala. Layer one-fourth ladyfingers in a trifle bowl or large clear bowl; brush with espresso mixture. Top with one-fourth cream cheese mixture. Repeat 3 times with remaining ladyfingers, coffee mixture, and cream cheese mixture.
- Beat remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spoon over cream cheese mixture, and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Note: To prepare espresso, stir together 3/4 cup hot water and 1/3 cup ground espresso or dark-roast coffee. Let stand 5 minutes; pour through a wire-mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter into a glass measuring cup, discarding coffee grounds. Makes 3/4 cup.
- This may also be prepared in a 13- x 9-inch dish, layering ladyfingers brushed with coffee mixture and cream cheese mixture. Spread with whipped cream mixture.
- Original recipe: Calories 618 (75% from fat); Fat 51g (sat 29g); Chol 314mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts